By Scoop Reporter
SEVEN members of the same family in Chongwe have been burnt to death after the house in which they were sleeping caught fire.
Police spokesperson Esther Katongo says the incident occurred last evening at about 20:00 hours at Shisholeka village, Chief Nkomeshya in Chongwe District.
Ms. Katongo says the matter was reported to police by Misheck Njovu, 74, of Shisholeka Village, Chief Nkomeshya, the grandfather of the victims and identified the deceased as Misheck Njovu, 5, Maggie Matibenga, 6, Emeldah Moyo, 4, years, and Marvis Moyo, 3.
Others are Rebecca Matibenga, 3, Amon Matibenga, 1 year two months, and Harriet Matibenga, all of the same family.
She says Lawrence Muzolewa, 43, who is the owner of the house, and Gift Matibenga, 12, who were also in the house at the time of the inferno survived with burns on their faces, hands, and legs.
“Lawrence Muzolewa is admitted to Chongwe District Hospital while Gift Matibenga is in Levy Mwanawasa Teaching Hospital.
“The fire is alleged to have started when Lawrence Muzolewa was pouring petrol in a container which later spilled on a brazier and engulfed the house. The bodies of the deceased are in Chongwe District Hospital mortuary awaiting postmortem,” Ms. Katongo said.