….As residents run amok and bring down the wall fence to the house where the incident happened

By Bennie Mundando

A 9 YEAR-OLD boy has died after being electrocuted in Lusaka’s George Compound after he allegedly tampered with a suspected naked cable from the main house to a makeshift shop.

Police spokesperson Esther Katongo has identified the deceased as Golden Zulu who died today at around 11:30 hours at Matero Level 1 hospital where he was rushed to after he became unconscious following the incident.

“Police in Lusaka received a report of suspected electrocution which occurred on October 25, 2020 at around 11:30 hours at a makeshift shop in which Dickson Zulu, unknown age, of George Compound, reported that his son Golden Zulu aged nine years was electrocuted after he tampered with a suspected naked cable alleged to have been connected from the main house of Leonard Phiri aged about 60 of George Compound.

“The victim immediately became unconscious and was rushed to Matero Level one Hospital where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. No visible injuries were observed from the deceased,” Ms. Katongo said.

Meanwhile, residents from the neighbourhood are reported to have run amok after the incident and brought down the wall fence to the house where the accident happened and looted.

“Upon this happening, members of the public who live around the area pounced on the house from where the victim was electrocuted and damaged the wall fence, windows, doors, and some looted household goods which are yet to be itemized.

“The scene was visited and one black electric cable which was connected to the makeshift shop was found. An Inquiry has been launched in the matter.  And Zesco personnel have been alerted. The body of the deceased has been deposited to the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) mortuary awaiting postmortem,” she said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *